These days, smartphones fulfill a very important role in our lives. A person that upgrades to a smartphone handset never considers switching to any other type. The reason is obvious: smartphones are used extremely often in our everyday life. We need them all the time – to check email, take photos, confirm the weather, browse the web, to play, to listen, to record everything around, to memorize… and sometimes even to call!
For the majority of smartphone users, this small handset became an essential helper in performing most tasks. But the true significance of this device can only really be appreciated abroad. Suddenly, when you’re overseas, knowing where to go and where to stay becomes very crucial, and your small assistant can help you anytime, anywhere.
Traveling abroad with a smartphone is a fun and pleasurable experience. However, in order to enjoy the full abilities of the device, you have to prepare your small assistant for the trip. Choosing the right applications is very important and will enhance your travel experience.
But how do you choose the right applications that will suit your travel needs? For an iPhone, for example, there are tens of thousands of applications, so how do you choose the few apps that will suit your needs the most?
There is no precise answer. However, based on my experience I can give you several tips on how to build the correct kit that will help you abroad the most.
I’ll divide my recommendation into 4 categories – transportation, communication, adaptation, and entertainment.
If you are travelling, then you are on the move, and if you are on the move, then you use a lot of public transportation. Consider before your trip what kind of transportation you will be using.
• In big cities like London you probably will use an underground – so do not forget to download a tube map and locator app.
• If you want to take a taxi don’t forget an application that finds you the nearest cab service (and simultaneously checks the prices – it’s very common everywhere in the word to overcharge tourists).
• Install a train schedule – they are usually very precise.
• Don’t forget about your flights (especially back home) – there are a variety of programs with live departure feeds.
• Check for location based applications that will assist you in finding transportation stations and stops in your area.
As a tourist you will use different types of transportation, and being prepared can save you a lot of money and time!
You’ll probably want to stay in touch with your loved ones, or your boss, so don’t forget about communication.
• First of all, download Wi-Fi Finder. Hotels usually charge outrageously high rates for their internet usage so find free Wi-Fi zones and browse the net there.
• Check if your default e-mail application really suits your needs – there are a variety of e-mail solutions for any mobile phone.
• Install VoIP communicators. We recommend Skype, or Fring. You’ll save a lot of money especially on long intercontinental calls.
• Social networking – you probably would like the world to know how much fun you’re having, and of course you want to share recent photos with friends. Preinstall Facebook, Twitter, Myspace etc. and make them all envious.
Think about information you may need abroad. There are different types of apps that provide solutions to these needs. For example, you can connect your home computer’s hard disk (using Folders app) and download files to your iPhone, or you can check your bank account and stocks while abroad. Check out iStore to get ideas.
When you travel you’ll want to feel at home even while you’re far away from home. There are many useful applications to help you accomplish this.
• Be prepared. In some countries the weather is unpredictable so check out weather prediction applications.
• Overcome the language barrier by installing a dictionary and translator. Look for applications with audio pronunciation. If you are on a business trip, check out dictionaries with professional language.
• Currency and unit converters are highly recommended. Be aware that you exchange your dollars for a fair rate. Know the temperature in Celsius. Drive carefully while considering that your speedometer is in kilometers per hour. Remember that numbers can mean different things in different countries.
• Local Holidays Calendar – you will be surprised how many holidays you can find in one country. Use this application before your trip, but also take it with you – you will probably forget some important dates.
• Install as many travel supporters as you can – city sightseeing guides, cultural recommendations, audio travel directories, and local gems finders. There is never enough of this software.
• Download location based applications to help you with your routine – like finding places to eat or sleep. These applications are vital for a disorganized vacation. When looking for such locations using this software, check if you can find online reviews. Knowing what locals think about a restaurant or a hotel is extremely important.
Think of what problems you may bump into. Look for applications that will help you find solutions to these difficulties.
While abroad you may spend a lot of time in trains, cars, planes, lines and more. Instead of considering this time as wasted you can download applications that will help you spend this time more pleasurably.
• Download your favorite movies and music before your travel. Don’t think that you will be watching on-line content, because usually you won’t have good internet connection on public transportation.
• Download games. There are games for all ages and genders, and there are never enough.
• Upload your favorite books onto your iPhone and read them anywhere in the world.
• Install radio applications. You will be able to listen to your favorite channels almost everywhere.
There are a lot of different applications that can make your “useless” time more entertaining. If you’re going to travel with an iPhone, browsing “games” and “entertainment” directories in iStore is highly recommended.
We at KeepGo.com rent out iPhones for local and international travelers. We have prepared software packages for cultural and business tourists. These packages were assembled by our professional team, and are constantly improved following our clients’ feedbacks. If you are in a hurry and don’t have much time to spend choosing the right applications, contact us. We can either rent you an iPhone with our personally tested applications, or we can preinstall the package on your device.
Tell us what your needs are and you will be accommodated.